Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tweaking Bases

Well, I wanted to do some updating to the bases on the Fire Warriors.  The camouflage on the Fire Warriors certainly did work with the bases as they were, but they did such a good job of blending in that under low light they hardly looked painted. I aimed to fix that...

If you remember from an earlier post, I had this Fire Warrior:


I had him walking through a muddy area of some urban ruins.  The contrast in the mud not only made him "pop" so to speak, but make the yellow decorations on him not seem to stand out as bad. Win, win. This scheme seemed even more promising after I started the base for the Devilfish.  Let's take a look at a picture you've seen on here.


Although the picture is a little drab due to the lighting, you can see how that last Fire Warrior matched this basing scheme much more.  The mud and ash make the more grey-scale ruins stand out and allow for the details to be seen more easily.

I knew this is the scheme I wanted to add to the rest of the Fire Warriors and made the effort to meticulously add these details to the their bases.  Here's a picture of the result:

Click the picture to expand

The lighting in our new residence is terrible so the photo is a little off-colored, but you can see how the addition of the mud has added a level of depth to them that they could not have had with just concrete-colored rubble.

I think my next step will be to add some golden/harvest colored long grasses in to make it seem as though the rubble has been there for a while.

Thoughts, comments, questions... leave them all.  I would love to hear your opinion!


2 comments:

  1. Looks a lot better! Cant wait to see a full squad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Powerhour101! I'm still updating them and hope to transfer those ideas to the Fire Warriors I do going forward.

      Delete